There are many different types of emergencies; from simple power outages or gas leaks to more serious events like chemical spills, earthquakes and fires. Emergencies can be devastating and can force you to evacuate the area or confine you to your home. Families and communities are more quickly able to recover from emergencies by preparing in advance and working together as a team.
Here are a few ways you can prepare for disaster:
1. Learn which kinds of natural and human-caused disasters pose a risk to the Chino Hills area (high winds, power outages, wild fires, floods, etc.). Type your home address into the California Office of Emergency Services website to discover the hazards that exist in your area.
3. Build Disaster Supply Kits for your home, office, and car.
4. Choose an out-of-town contact person your family members may call to check in with during an emergency. FEMA makes a great family emergency communications plan.
5. Know where to go during an emergency; designate a nearby park, school, or other convenient location to meet and include it in your plan.
7. Include your pet or service animal in your Family Disaster Plan.
8. Eliminate hazards in your home and office. FEMA provides helpful information about how to check your home for earthquake hazards.
9. Get involved – donate blood, educate your neighbors, and volunteer!
10. Sign up for emergency alerts.