Filming and Still Photography

The Community Relations Division serves as the liaison office to production companies and businesses who want to film or shoot professional photography in the City of Chino Hills. Our Community Relations staff works with your location manager, producer, director or even the film permitting office you utilize to ensure that your application includes all of the details required for the timely processing of your Film Permit.

When are Film Permits required?

Film Permits are required for video and still photography when filming activity takes place on City property including parks, and various City facilities, and in the public right-of-way such as on City streets, sidewalks, and in the open space. A Film Permit with property owner approval is also required if filming and shooting professional photography on private property, or in a local business and will in some way impact the public right-of-way (this includes the production companies parking of vehicles). City Film Permits are not issued for County, State, and Chino Valley Unified School District sites, or for the Chino Hills State Park. You must contact those agencies directly for use and permitting.

How Far in Advance Do I Need to Submit the Filming/Still Photography Application?

A completed application (PDF) should be submitted to the Community Relations Division a minimum of 5 to 7 business days prior to the proposed production date. Sometimes, depending on the impact to the community, we can process the film permit in less time. An application is not considered complete until the application is completely filled out and submitted with:

  • All necessary signatures
  • Certificate of Insurance along with the "Additional Insured Endorsement"
  • Production/Site Plan
  • Traffic/Parking Plan
  • Property owner signatures, agreement, and/or HOA approval letter, if necessary
  • Paid Filming or Still Photography Application Fee
    $378 for filming ($189 for Chino Hills Student) - Effective Jul 1, 2023
    $126 for still photography ($63 for Chino Hills Student) - Effective Jul 1, 2023
    Master Schedule of Fees, Fines, & Penalties 07/01/2023 (PDF)

Chino Valley Fire District Film Permit Review

Depending on the type of production a separate permit may be required by the Chino Valley Fire District (CVFD). CVFD works in conjunction with the City of Chino Hills and has a separate application process for film permits. Applications, plans, and fees for a permit by the Fire District must be submitted directly to their office. Please visit their website or contact them at (909) 902-5260 for more information regarding their permit process. If you are using lighting equipment with a generator, you will most likely need a permit issued by the Fire District.

Insurance Requirements

Before a permit is issued, a Certificate of Insurance along with the "Additional Insured Endorsement (PDF)" must be submitted. The Insurance Certificate must be issued by an insurance underwriter "admitted" by the California Insurance Commission and rated "A" or "B+" by Best’s Key Rating Guide. Certificate of Insurance limits and requirements are:

  • Minimum $1,000,000 per occurrence per $2,000,000 General Liability Limit
  • Minimum $1,000,000 combined single limit Auto Liability
  • Minimum statutory limits Workers’ Compensation / Employer’s Liability $1,000,000 per accident or disease with waiver of subrogation endorsement in favor of the City of Chino Hills
  • $10,000,000 Aircraft Liability (when applicable)
  • City of Chino Hills, its Officers, Officials, Employees, Volunteers, and Agents named as Additional Insured
  • Appropriate City Employees named as Additional Insured (when applicable)

The most common delay occurs when the Certificate of Insurance is not provided with the Page 2 "Additional Insured Endorsement". To expedite your application process, inform your insurance underwriter that you are required to provide the page 2 Endorsement as well as the Certificate of Insurance. See the sample provided below.

Sample "Additional Insured Endorsement (PDF)"

Sample "Waiver of Subrogation Endorsement (PDF)"

Filming or photography at Chino Hills State Park requires a permit through the California Film Commission. Please visit their website to learn more.