Building & Safety
To further our efforts of maintaining the health and safety of our staff and customers, please schedule an appointment to visit the Community Development or Engineering departments. Click here Version OptionsBuilding & SafetyHeadlineto view the appointment page and link.
What We Do
The Building and Safety Division ensures that all residential, commercial, and other construction in the City meets or exceeds the minimum requirements of codes that have been adopted by both the State of California and the City of Chino Hills. The Division also checks for compliance with state mandates, building practices, manufacturer requirements, and specific design.
Call the Inspection Hotline at 909-364-2790 before 3:00 pm to request an inspection on the next business day. Inspection requests left on the hotline after 3:00 pm will be conducted on the day following the next business day. Inspection requests left after 3:00 pm on Friday will be performed on Tuesday. Please state the address, permit number, and type of inspection. Messages pertaining to other business should not be left on the hotline number. The line is for inspection requests only. Due to the high volume of inspections, we are unable to give appointment times.
If you are unable to keep the inspection scheduled, please call 909-364-2780 to cancel. If no one is home or access is not provided, a re-inspection fee may be incurred.
Services Provided by the Building and Safety Division
- Answer general questions relating to construction, inspections, permits, etc.
- Provide plan review services
- Issue grading and building permits
- Provide field inspections for construction projects with active permits
General Permit Information
- When is a permit required?
- Work exempt from permits
- Permit applications and handouts
- To preview all finaled building permits, please submit a public records request.
Currently Adopted Codes
- Building Code Adoption Ordinance Number 341 (PDF)
- California Building Code 2019 Edition, Volumes 1, 2
- California Electrical Code 2019 Edition
- California Mechanical Code 2019 Edition
- California Plumbing Code 2019 Edition
- California Residential Code 2019 Edition
- California Energy Code 2019 Edition
- California Green Building Standards Code 2019 Edition
Hiring a Contractor
Do your homework when hiring a contractor. For important information regarding hiring a contractor, please visit the Contractors State License Board.